Thursday, January 15, 2009

Very interesting class...

So, tonight we covered meats. Different cuts of pork, beef, lamb, etc. So, chef cut up a top roast into several different dishes to show the different things you could do with it. So, of course there were steaks: one with a cream sauce and black pepper, another steak grilled with compound butter, then finally steak tartar. What is steak tartar? Well its finely, very finely, I'm talking super finely chopped raw steak mixed with different herbs. That's right kids it's raw. At first I wasn't going to try it. I got a second helping of lobster bisque and the chef gave me a look. I walked back to my station and soon I was peer pressured into sampling. I thought peer pressure would be over after high school? Well, I took a very tiny sample on my spoon. Before I knew it was in my mouth. Definitely tasted good, but my mind was telling me oh no! it's raw, how disgusting. Then I tried everything in my power not to throw up. I was quietly gagging--I don't think anyone noticed. My taste buds said it was great, but my mind was telling me something different. The texture is actually very different than you think it would be. It doesn't feel raw or taste in your mouth. Even though I had the tiniest sample it felt like an eternity chewing it. Once I was done, I chased it was lobster bisque. My stomach was still queasy. Oh! I have doritos in my purse--grabbed them. Still queasy. Finally we had our break and I drank a sprite. Ahhhh, much better. My stomach finally settled down.

Tomorrow my spice, herb, pepper, nuts, grains, and equipment test. Probably about 150 different items

No comments: