Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Busting Out the Tool Kit

Day 3:

We finally opened our Chef's kit and learned our first cut today. Before we even started the Chef said that he loves Guinness and whoever has any cuts buys him Guinness.

So we start with a basic cut called Batonnet, which starts off in 2" cube, then you cut the cube into 1/4" planks, then 1/4" matchsticks. So basically you will have this perfect 1/4" square which is 2" in length. How do you even start? Well, we practiced on potatoes. Now potatoes are round so you have to cut it into a square in order to cut it safely. So you trim off all the edges in a straight line, then you cut the square in a 2" cube so you'll have this perfect cube, which makes perfect planks, then perfect sticks.

So much harder to cut in a straight line.

So here I was trying so hard cut in a straight line and using my cutting cube to make the perfect sizes. Finally, I have my cube. I take a look at it and it looks more like a trapezoid than a cube. Sigh. I proceed and finish and measure the final product. It's about 1 1/2 " and roughly 1/4" thick. Very disappointing. I clean my board and stand and wait, then I look down and noticed my middle cuticle is bleeding. I didn't even feel the cut. I try so hard so hide it so I won't have to buy the Chef beer, but it's too late, he noticed. And I hang my head in shame as I go to the first aid kit. Then I hear, "I always love it when a woman buys me a drink." Sigh. At least my classmates were nice about it. They all asked me if I was ok. Oh yeah just fine...embarrassed but just fine.

For the next hour and a half, practice, practice, practice. I never did cut in a straight line. I mean who am I kidding I can't even cut with scissors in a straight line! Good thing is the Chef did come by and correct a few things so that was helpful. I know it was my first attempt and they looked really good, but not perfect.

And I get to do it all again tomorrow.

1 comment:

ginger said...

that's my kind of chef! will he give you extra points if you start taking him a guiness at the beginning of every class? :)