Sunday, January 25, 2009

and I am done...


Friday was my final and my last day with Chef Champalle. Most of us got there early to cram last minute. I really couldn't review any more. I knew the material, just anxious to take the exam. I also did buy chef a 6-pack of Guinness. It was mainly a going away present. He actually didn't even notice it at first. He walked in with another chef and he was the one who noticed. Looked in the bag and said, "It's going to be a good night, Chef!" Champalle looked in the bag and then looked at me and gave me a look like he always does. I just smiled.

7:00 pm time for roll call and then we headed for our last uniform inspection. We all lined up out in the hall and one by one chef shook everyone's hands. Then he came to me, extended his hand and said, "You, are a dangerous woman." I laughed and didn't know what he meant by that. A French man saying that to American woman can't be good right? I mean I'm sure French women are dangerous, not American women. Oh well, who's to say?

We piled in the room and we took our test. I basically knew all of the answers with confidence. A few I guessed at but I felt I made educated decisions. I actually was the first one done. We took a break as the last students finished. 1 down, 1 more to go. We made our way back in the room for our practical exam. I wasn't the first one finished, but I think I finished in an hour and a half. I arrange my cuts on my board to a beach theme. Took my orange supreme and julienne and turned it into a palm tree, took my parsley and turned it into an island, etc. I presented my board to chef and he gave me his look. Asked me what the design was supposed to be and said a beach theme. He smirked. Scores tallied up and I got a 146 out of 200, which turned out to be about a 73. It could be worse. It was finally over...

I checked my grade online the next day. The first day of class chef said he didn't give out A's in his class so I wasn't expecting an A. I stared at the computer screen and it was a B, the next best thing. :)

1 comment:

ginger said...

alecia!! way to go!! you rocked that first final-i'm so proud!

and that chef is right... french or not... you ARE a dangerous woman. ;)

love you and miss you!