Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Culinary Skills I

First day:

Well I’ll be honest, the excitement of going to culinary school did wear off by the time of my first day. 6 weeks ago I was so pumped, but as time went on I grew less and less excited. I put on my uniform and looked ridiculous. I was this white blob with this huge apron. I will admit I loved the chef’s jacket. I left out the back, hoping no one would see me and low and behold my ex was dab smack in the middle of my path. Oh yes, nothing like looking like a cooking ninja in front of your ex. How hot am I now?

I finally made it to class and was the first one there. My stomach was in knots waiting, not knowing what to expect. Finally, one by one my peers trickle in. All are so nice and friendly, which eased the tension. Then it was 7:00 and time for class. The Chef goes over policies, dress code, conduct code, etc. Finally the syllabus. Come to find out that my Culinary Skills I class is for 15 days for 5 hours every day. That’s right only 3 short weeks from 7:00pm to midnight—very intense training. The good news is after the 3 weeks are over then I’ll be done by 9:00 pm. After 3 and a half hours of orientation we finally start the lecture. Come to find out all we talked about was food. I don’t know why I was so surprised, well not so much surprised as relieved. I love talking about food and now I get to talk about it for 5 hours a day. My passion flared up and I was excited again. We just talked about the history of culinary arts and the first restaurant, but it was very cool learning about the different shakers in the culinary world and how we still use it today.

All in all very good first day. Very tired, but so worth it.

No comments: