Sunday, January 4, 2009

Old Year, New Year


It's the new year and finally 2008 is over. On NYE a few friends of mine were discussing 2008. Most agreed it was a bad year for them. Looking back it wasn't my favorite year. I moved in with my parents, ended a horrible relationship which ended in a horrible disaster. BUT there were some highlights of the year. I got a new dog Oliver and my friends and I became terribly close this year. Over the past year, I've watched how my friendships have grown and for that factor alone loved 2008. According to Christin, I also did a lot of growing this past year. She said that I've found my independence from relationships and found myself again. I will admit I did lose myself while dating my ex. We were so not right for each other and focused my energy on making him happy and not myself. It wasn't until half way into the year did I finally break myself away from him and started focusing on myself. I had a wonderful support team who supported me throughout the entire mess. Maybe 2008 wasn't too bad after all. :)

As for 2009, I think I'm ready for this year to be over already. I'm fulfilling my dream and going to culinary school, but in return I'm making some major sacrifices. I no longer get to go to my small group or come home and play with my pups. Instead, I get to work all day and go to school all night. For the next 15 months I have to let go of everything that is making me happy to fulfill a passion of mine. I do think it's worth it, but I'm so scared. I'm trusting in God that He has a plan for me in my new adventures. Becoming a chef is a complete 180 from where I'm at in my life. For the past 6 years, I've worked in HR in an office--very cush job. I'm trading all of that for longer hours and standing all day, but food is my passion so will it even feel like work? I have many supporters in my life and many people who are waiting to see me fail. The only thing that matters is what I think and what I want for my life. I have to take the risk and try finding a career I'm passionate about. If you know me just even a little bit you know that I have a passion for food and I love to cook. I cannot pass this opportunity up.

2009, bring it on!

No comments: