Thursday, February 12, 2009

Valentine's Smalentine's

I actually don't like Valentine's Day. I did when I was in high school--it was fun going out on a date or getting flowers from a special someone, but when I got into college and started committed relationships I actually didn't really care about the holiday. I know a few women who also feel the same way--I ask them why they don't like the holiday and they said it's because they don't like a day where you have to be romantic, get flowers, candy, date, etc. They would much rather prefer spontanteous actions from their man. Good point--but what about birthday's and anniversary's? Those are days where, much like Valentine's, you get flowers, date, etc. For me I think birthday's and anniversary's are different because you aren't really sharing that day with anyone else but your man. I mean the entire world is not celebrating your anniversary with you. I think that's where Valentine's and I have a problem. Is it all romantic when the rest of the world is also celebrating with you? Ok, ok I will be honest, I do love flowers. I could get them everyday if someone would get them for me. I do remember one Valentine's Day with Austen--I said I didn't want to celebrate it, maybe just go out to a nice dinner but nothing else--no gifts or anything. Well through the course of the day, I saw every woman in my office get flowers and I started to fume. Was it so hard to give the girl some flowers when you know she loves them??? Of course, what I didnt' know the ENTIRE office knew. At the end of the day, we were walking to my car and I handed Austen my keys so he could drive. I opened the passenger side door and sitting in the seat was a dozen, beautiful roses. My heart melted and it was a great day. The next year we didnt' do anything for Valentine's day, no dinner, no roses, etc and I was completely happy with that. I did get flowers randomly when I started my new job that year and for my birthday, much better than on Valentine's.

For me the perfect Valentine's Day would be to make a romantic dinner at home (most likely filet mignon, asparagus, and potatoes) and for my man to whispher in my ear how lucky he is to have me.

Maybe in the near future who knows, but for now I'm completely happy having a girls night, drinking wine and eating yummy foods.

No comments: